New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary was established in 1820 to meet the eye care needs of New Yorkers, especially the working poor. Although ears had been treated at The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary since its inception, the institution was originally incorporated under the title of The New York Eye Infirmary on March 22, 1822. In 1864, the otology department was given official recognition and the name was legally changed to The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. In 1873, the throat department was added. Although teaching had been conducted at The Infirmary from the very beginning, the School of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, chartered by the State Legislature, was officially founded in 1890. Thus began the first Otolaryngology resident training program in the United States. In 1999, the Infirmary joined Continuum Health Partners. In 2013 this group merged with Mount Sinai to form the Mount Sinai Health System.