Dermatology, Department of
The history of dermatology as an organized specialty at Mount Sinai began in 1891, when a Clinic for Skin and Venereal Diseases was created in the Outpatient Department. In 1893, Sigmund Lustgarten, MD (pictured) was appointed Consulting Dermatologist for ward patients. In 1900, beds on the wards were set aside exclusively for dermatological patients and Lustgarten became Mount Sinai's first Attending Dermatologist. Subsequent Attendings included Isadore Rosen, MD, a noted textbook author, and Samuel Peck, MD, who established the department's residency program. In 1975, Harry Shatin, MD became the first full-time Chairman of the Department.