Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine, Department of
The Brookdale Department of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine, originally the Department of Geriatrics and Adult Development, was established in 1982 as the first freestanding Department of Geriatrics in an American medical school. Dr. Robert N. Butler (pictured) was its founding chairman.
Mount Sinai had long been a key player, however, in the emergence of geriatrics as a distinct medical specialty. In 1909, former Chief of the Outpatient Clinic Dr. Ignatz Leo Nascher coined the term "geriatrics" to refer to the medical treatment of the elderly, and in 1914 he published the first American textbook on the subject. In 1972, the School of Medicine became the first medical school to offer a nationally recognized geriatrics fellowship. In 2009, to reflect its growing involvement in palliative care research, the Department changed its name to the Department of Geriatrics and Palliative Care.
- Ritter Department of Geriatrics and Adult Development (1982-1993)
- Henry L. Schwartz Department of Geriatrics and Adult Development (1993-2001)
- Brookdale Department of Geriatrics and Adult Development (2001-2009)