The history of the Gustave L. and Janet W. Levy Library began in 1883, when a medical library for the use of Mount Sinai doctors was established by the efforts of Attending Physician Dr. Alfred Meyer. In 1910 the previously unnamed library was named the Jacobi Library in honor of Dr. Abraham Jacobi. At first administered by volunteers from the medical staff, the Library hired its first professional librarian in 1946.
In 1969, following the opening of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Dr. Alfred Brandon was recruited from away from his position as director of the medical library at Johns Hopkins to become library director of the combined Mount Sinai Medical Center, and in 1974 a new library facility on the 10th and 11th floors of Annenberg was dedicated in honor of Gustave L. Levy, Chairman of the Board of Trustees. Today, the Levy Library forms the core of the Academic Informatics and Technology department.
Pictured: A pen and ink sketch from the booklet celebrating the dedication of the new Library, 1974.
- Library, Mount Sinai Hospital (1883-1910)
- Jacobi Library (1910-1974)