The staff of the Mount Sinai Hospital has included pulmonological specialists since the late 19th century, when Alfred Meyer, MD (pictured), an expert in the treatment of tuberculosis, was a member of the attending staff. In 1939, a Division of Thoracic Diseases was formally established in the Department of Medicine with Coleman Rabin, MD as its founding chief. The name was changed to the Division of Pulmonary Medicine in 1974.

In 2005, the Division was endowed as the Catherine and Henry J. Gaisman Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine.

Historical Names

  • Division of Thoracic Diseases (1939-1974)
  • Division of Pulmonary Medicine (1974-2005)

Collections in this community

Recent Submissions